I Think My Mask of Sanity is About to Slip....

Sunday, July 17, 2005

I figure a week off would do a blog good...


I was at my parent's house and went to pick up our food at Gina's down the street. The name was the same, the number was the same. and the address was the same. I walked in and realized what did change. I remember when Gina used to work and own Gina's.When there was a Super Punch Out and Pinball machine. When there was a side door you could only use if you knew someone. My best friend worked there..my brother had his first job there. When I walked in I realized how much actually had changed(well the equipment and food was the same). I was sad, nostalgic, and removed. Sad because I have only been gone 4 years but it seemed like forever. Nostalgic of those Monday nights when I would have a 12 pack of High Life and Rob would make a pie for us and then close up the shop and we would talk about the good ole days even though we were only 18. Removed because I didn't know anyone who worked there anymore and they didn't know me. We would get food there once a week. The 'cool' side door was blocked by boxes and I couldn't walk in that way like Henry Hill walked in the kitchen entrance of the Copa in Goodfellas. I am not sure I even want to venture into the Frontenac Bar...and not because if they card me they will say ' Your ID said you were 30 fifteen years ago!'. But because I want to remember that place the way it was. I knew a guy would come in and try to sell meat he just stole from the supermarket and get thrown out. I knew we would have to duck atleast once a month from a flying barstool when a fight ensued and I knew Jerry would have a High Life draft and a shot of Jameson waiting for me before I came in and sat down. Add that to the list of things cool: Drinking Miller High Life on tap at the local bar....where everyone knew your name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Web Counter