I Think My Mask of Sanity is About to Slip....

Friday, August 05, 2005

Fabulous Firsts

Now I want to spend a little time and work on firsts. Like the first CD I ever bought with my own money was Green Day's Dookie. I am pretty sure the first album I ever bought with my own money was Thriller by MJ. The first 45 I ever remember buying was Billy Haley and The Comets Rock Around the Clock. I was a big Happy Days re-run fan I guess. I am not sure the first phillies game I ever went to and I am not even sure if my dad would remember. I guess I will just say it was game 6 in the 1980 World Series at the Vet. So many people say they were at that game, so I suppose on that particular day the Vet held close to 100,000 people. So leave your firsts as a comment, or don't leave them.. Remember when guys used to play on ice with sticks in a game called hockey? Well I hope that 2006 will be the year I am on Broad Street with a million other people who deserve a championship. The Flyers return and make 2005-2006 a memorable one for sports fans in Philly when we retake the Cup. I am going to exorcise the Phillies demons of 1964 by delving into a book called September Swoon. It is written about the 1964 season and the social climate of our city in that year. I know some about the foul year of our Lord 1964, but I want to know more. Its poetic to lose and be a Red Sox fan. Its cool to lose and be a Cubs fan. It flat out stinks to lose and be a Phillies fan. Why is this? What if we won it all in 64? Could that have been a turning point in the franchise? The team was just terrible after that until the mid to late 70s. Bunning and Short...Bunning and Short...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Web Counter