I Think My Mask of Sanity is About to Slip....

Friday, September 30, 2005

I Can Sing a Rainbow


Do you remember Captain Noah starting off the show by sliding down the slide? How about these lyrics:
Red and yellow and pink and green
Purple and orange and blue
I can sing a rainbow,
sing a rainbow,
sing a rainbow too

Or how about the part when the camera scanned by pictures sent in by kids while the song:
Send your pictures
To Dear Old Captain Noah
Send today
Send right away

One of my favorite parts of the show was when they would show pictures around America each week and play 'This Land is Your Land'. My mom would bring out a map or globe and show me where the Redwoods in California were or the Gulf stream waters. I just wanted to say thanks to my Mom for that.

But without question my favorite part of the show was 'Mumwa the Monster' . It was a puppet who lived under Captain Noah's table and would eat all the scraps of paper after the Captain and Sally Starr or Mrs. Noah did some arts and crafts. Does anyone remember 'Mumwa' ? He was the Oscar the Grouch before Oscar... To this day whenever I use a garbage disposal I think of Captain Noah and Mumwa the Monster.

With it being officially October now and the nip is in the air I am going to vow to do 2 things I have wanted to do every October for a while. I will read The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe and also visit his house in downtown Philly. For those of you who have never been there...you are missing out. The eerie feeling I got when I walked into an upstairs bedroom, hair standing on end, an uneasiness in the air, and a sense of being watched. It is one of the treasures of Philadelphia and not many people have gone there for Halloween time..they would rather go to a haunted hayride or a fake haunted house. Well go to Poe's house and experiencethe real thing.

I am hoping to be able to post an anecdote about the smoothest move in the history of dating. This move was made by my best friend in High School and I still bring it up. He was just so ahead of his time with this one. I don't want to build this up too much, because it is more of an inside joke that needs a bit of background for you to truly see the visionary E circa 1991.

3 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny you mentioned Caption Noah this week, Mark and I were just talking about him. He asked me if I ever watched the show and I really don't remember. What I do remember watching is Sesame Street, Mr. Rodgers, Reading Rainbow and Afterschool Specials. As far as non-educational shows go Do you remember The Smurfs?, The Littles?, Muppet Babies?,The A-Team, and the original WWF with Hulk Hogan, The Heart Brothers and Mr. T? They were some of my favorites!

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Captain Noah rocked dude...used always make sure i was up sunday mornings to watch

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that this too, too solid flesh might melt! I like Caesar!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Web Counter