I Think My Mask of Sanity is About to Slip....

Sunday, October 02, 2005

The Day the Summer Died


Many people think about the beach, vacation, pools, and the hot sun. While all these cross my mind as well, when I think of summer, I think baseball. Today the summer has passed me by once again. The Phillies season ended today with a win, but they missed being in the playoffs by one game. One game out of a 162 game season. .6172839% of a season. I had already bought tickets to the one game playoff that would have been held on Monday versus the Astros and received them via email. I am going to print them out and put them in a frame to be put in my computer room. I want to look at them everyday. I want them to remind me how every little thing you do, or do not do can make a difference. The Phillies played bad baseball in April and May. That came back to haunt them. They may have lost focus, had bad luck, or just did not realize that how you play in the beginning makes all the difference in the end. The tickets will also remind me that there is hope for next year and the many memories of this year. The emergence of Howard and Utley, the 12-1 homestand, the 36 game hitting streak by Rollins, and the many come from behind victories at the end when every game was a must win. So farewell Summer of 2005 and next year I hope to experience Fall Baseball. The tough part now is who to root for in the playoffs. These are the teams I would never root for: Yankees, Braves, Cardinals. I am going to root for a Padres versus White Sox World Series. The picture I added to this post is my actual seat and my actual view of the field at Citizens Bank Park.

3 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am real sad and heart broken at the fact that we missed the playoffs again...by ONE stinkin game...there are so many what-ifs that run through my mind...if we woulda played better baseball in the early months, if we woulda won at least one more game against the Mets in the last week, if we didnt go 0-6 against the damn Astros...so many what-ifs...but, i looked towards next year...Utley and Howard can only get better, and our pitching wasnt as brutal as everyone thought it would be...next year i believe the division crown is ours...but hey, we saw so many good games this year

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(cont)...lots of comebacks, a double header sweep...it was a good year...chin up...things are def lookin up fr this team

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whether it's 10 games or 1 game, the story is the same.......an unused stadium in October. Same old Phillies story.
They could probably use an "Ace" even more than the Mariners.

They also need management that can bring an atmosphere of winners, instead of losers.
They've just gotten used to being left behind.
Is there another Dallas Green out there?

Houston has a better chance, anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Web Counter